July 9, 2023 ZA Board Meeting Minutes

Members in Attendance: Daniel Lockley, Alex Weeks, Mandy Walker-LaFollette, Tendai Muparutsa, Jacqueline Fallon
Members Absent: Chris Halaska, Cloud Petayi, Heather Steele, Maria Minnaar Bailey, Janis Weeks
Non-voting members in attendance: Claire Jones

Review Agenda (All)


There were not enough board members present to constitute a quorum; therefore, no board votes were taken.

June Minutes/Synopsis (All)

Already approved by email

Insurance Follow-Up (Claire)

Finally received CoI’s (certificates of liability insurance) this week for OSU and Special Occasions (3rd party vendor for stage etc.).

  • MoA delayed due to error in insurance statement introduced by OSU Contract Review office; Claire refused to sign until it was corrected. Corrected MoA received and signed July 7.

Festival Jobs (Claire)

Board members should sign up for jobs in our Festival Cash Management plan (board member to be in charge of concert “door” (front of house) each night).

  • Green concert tix: We will still print concert tickets this year to make it feel more similar to previous festivals where payment is required.
    • Wanda Walker and Mandy will make and print concert tickets.

Board Membership Follow-Up (Alex)

Alex will continue to move forward with this.

Paul/Evelyn Donation Follow-Up (Alex, Mandy)

The Board checked in about follow-ups regarding this donation.

Donation Receipts (Claire)

We should be sending a receipt for tax purposes for any donation greater than $250 (see below with Mark Swift’s donation). This will be a job for the board treasurer.

Zimfest 2023 Update (Claire)

  • Zim guests status:
    • Tsungai Tsikirai’s B1 visa approved for 10 years! Tendayi Kusaya approved for P visa.
    • Innocent Mutero went for his interview 6/26 and discovered his DS-160 application had disappeared in their online system, had to reschedule and got 7/26. Hoping to reschedule earlier.
    • Mike Sibanda needed emergency travel funding as his local application was denied and he asked if he could have his workshop earnings applied toward a ticket. Mark Swift donated $500, Claire bought a ticket using additional $300+ funds from travel reimbursement.
    • Othnell Moyo interview coming up 7/17.
    • Moyo Mutamba canceled participation as of 7/8; Nora and Claire working on workshop adjustments.
  • Special Occasions contract ready for signing; need to rent hand trucks and rolling cart(s) elsewhere, Jan Six helping.
  • Tee shirt order is ready, Erin Ely to pick up, Mandy to bring to Zimfest.
  • Workshop rooms in Community Hall confirmed but new report that roof re-sealing work on MU may negatively impact all activities in the ballroom (marimba, dance classes). Shelly at University Events looking into it.
  • Petra S. (editing, proofreading) and Jaiaen B. (layout) working w/ Festival Coordinator on Festival Handout.
  • Claire is performing triage to figure out what’s most important to happen next.

Scheduling Board Meeting at Zimfest (All)

The Board will meet at 8:30am Sunday in the dining hall prior to the Village Meeting, which will be held at 9:30am.