Driving Directions to Zimfest at Western Oregon University
Interstate 5 Southbound
Take Exit 260A (Salem Parkway). Follow the Parkway into Salem. The Parkway will curve to the left and become Commercial Street. Stay on Commercial until you reach Marion Street. Turn right, cross the Marion Street Bridge on to Highway 22, and follow the signs marked “Dallas/Ocean Beaches.” Stay on Highway 22 until you reach Highway 99W. Take exit 16 on the right side on the overpass that puts you on Highway 99W. Go south 2.7 miles to SE Monmouth Cutoff Road (Clow Corner Rd.) and turn left at the next cross street, Riddell Road. Continue on to N. Monmouth Avenue. Travel 2.7 miles to Church Street. Werner University Center, location of Zimfest Registration, is on the corner of N. Monmouth and Church Street. Turn right onto Church, then take the first right to park in Parking Lot H.
Interstate 5 Northbound
Take Exit 249 (Commercial Street). Follow Commercial into Salem, and as you near downtown, Commercial will curve to the right and become Liberty Street. Stay on Liberty until you reach Marion Street. Turn left, cross the Marion Street Bridge on to Highway 22, and follow the signs marked “Dallas/Ocean Beaches.” Stay on Highway 22 until you reach Highway 99W. Take exit 16 on the right side of the overpass that puts you on Highway 99W. Go south 2.7 miles to SE Monmouth Cutoff Road (Clow Corner Rd.) and turn left at the next cross street, Riddell Road. Continue on to N. Monmouth Avenue. Travel 2.7 miles to Church Street. Werner University Center, location of Zimfest Registration, is on the corner of N. Monmouth and Church Street. Turn right onto Church, then take the first right to park in Parking Lot H.
Alternate Northbound Route
Take Exit 228 and follow route 34 towards Corvallis. After crossing the Willamette River into Corvallis, turn right at the second light onto scenic highway 99W. Continue north about 20 miles until you reach Monmouth; turn left at the first stop light, onto Main Street. Follow Main Street west to S. Monmouth Avenue and turn right. Go north to Church Street and turn left at the Werner University Center. Proceed as described above.
Shuttles from the Portland Airport (PDX) to Zimfest
Several companies operate Portland Airport shuttles on-demand (with no fixed schedule or destination) that will take you directly to Western Oregon University. Most of these services have cars and/or mini-vans, and charge $100 to $160 per one-way trip, plus $5 or $10 per passenger, plus tip. Contact them for further details and to reserve. (If you book a shuttle and have space for more passengers, you may want to post on the Zimfest Ride Board to lower the cost per person.)
- Beaverton Airporter – 503-760-6565; has a 7-passenger van
- USA Airport Shuttle – 800-997-4599
- TJW Transportation – 503-969-8961
- PDX Shuttle Service – 503-380-3130
- Rose Airport Shuttle (formerly Raja Tours Airporter) – 503-933-0812 or 866-641-7373
- Blue Star Transportation – 503-249-1837 or 800-247-2272; costs more; has 8- and 10-passenger vans
- Portland Airport: Ground Transportation
Under Transportation Types, choose “Reservation Only” for a list of on-demand shuttles
Other Public Transport from the Portland Airport or Elsewhere
The Portland Airport is some 90 minutes away by car, but the only direct transport service is via airport shuttles. Some additional transit options are listed below.
The recommended public transit route on Thursday, Friday or Monday:
- Take a shuttle or bus from the airport to Salem (see Airport Shuttles below)
- Take a bus or taxi to the Salem Transit Center (see Salem Travel Options below)
- Take the Cherriots Route 40X bus from the Salem Transit Center to WOU (does not run on Saturday or Sunday)
On Saturday and Sunday, the best option is to take an airport shuttle to Salem, then take the taxi to WOU. Other options include getting a ride and renting a car.
Airport Shuttles from Portland to Salem
These companies operate shuttles to Salem (reservations required or recommended):
- HUT Airport Shuttle — 11 trips daily (each way) between PDX and Salem Airport; $33/person
- City2City Shuttle — five trips daily (each way) between PDX and Salem Rodeway Inn; $35/person
Additional Airport Transportation Options
- Portland Airport: Ground Transportation
Choosing “All“ under the “Transportation Types“ menu yields a list of rental cars and shuttles. Choosing “Scheduled Buses and Vans” is probably the most fruitful; but none of the companies listed goes directly to Monmouth or WOU.
- Cherriots Route 40X Bus from WOU Werner University Center to Salem Transit Center (does not run on Saturday or Sunday)
- Cherriots Route 3 Bus from Rodeway Inn to Salem Transit Center (does not run on Saturday or Sunday)
Taxi and “Ride Share” Services
- Willamette Valley Yellow Cab — call ahead for reservation: 503-362-2411
- Lyft – use smartphone app (does not service Eugene area)
- Uber – use smartphone app (does not service Eugene area)
Getting Around the Monmouth Area via Public Transit
The WOU Campus is connected to surrounding communities via Cherriots bus service. The Cherriots route 40X bus runs from the Salem Transit Center to Western Oregon University (stopping outside the Werner University Center & Hamersly Library). The Cherriots 40X bus runs six times per day in each direction, Monday through Friday; it does not run on Saturday or Sunday.
- Cherriots Route 40X Bus Schedule
- Cherriots Bus Service
- Cherriots Bus Routes
- WOU: Cherriots Route 40X
- WOU: Getting Around the Monmouth Area, Salem, and Portland
Willamette Valley Yellow Cab is based in Salem. They will go to Monmouth by request. The fare between Salem and Monmouth is about $40 to $45. Call ahead for a reservation: 503-362-2411.