June 10, 2018 Zimfest Association Board Meeting Synopsis
Members in Attendance: Jacqueline Fallon, Chris Halaska, Daniel Lockley, Evelyn Mukwedeya, David Simon, Mandy Walker-LaFollette, Alex Weeks, Janis Weeks
Members Absent: None
Non-voting member in attendance: Claire Jones
Review/Modify Agenda (All)
Tech Initiative (Alex/Janis)
In general, registration is going well. There are still a few outstanding bugs that are being worked on.
Organizing Committee Update (Claire/Mandy)
- RegFox registrants up to 267 today. Slow but sure increase in housing, workshop sign ups; some workshops adjustments to maximize enrollments, add spaces for Friday.
- Hard to compare registration numbers to previous years because registration opened about a month earlier.
- Onsite registration planning – idea of green check-ins c/ reg. packets probably not possible this year.
- Open marimba jam-time? Dinner time looks like it’s the only time. Claire to ask Zimfest marimba providers. Now that Zimfest has marimbas maybe it’s time to try it again. Open jam, not workshop, but should have a facilitator.
- Afternoon concert schedule in flux due to cancellations
- Gretel B. working on outreach workshops for Lucky and Tsungai in Monmouth.
- Posters made and sent out. Now working on tee shirt and special order.
- Betty and Claire working on Festival Guide.
- Assign board tasks leading up to and at the festival.
- Claire and Nora WOU site visit June 6. Workshop rooms finally confirmed! Many details addressed! Bye to Don B. (but not really, he enjoys Zimfest!).
Zimfest 2019 (All)
- We hope to hold a festival at Western Oregon University in 2019. However, this is contingent on key positions in the Organizing Committee being filled and a sufficient body of support volunteers stepping forward by the end of August 2018.
- Encourage individuals and/or groups to consider stepping up, like in the past, at the village meeting to organize Zimfest 2019 at WOU. Use some of these talking points at the concerts. At most maybe 100 people attend the village meeting.
- Plan for 2020 at Evergreen
Update on Marimba Purchase (Mandy/Alex)
No confirmation yet, but a bass and baritone will be loaned this year to fill out the set, even if we have not bought.
Review Updated Zimfest Association Budget (Chris)
About $3600 in donations so far (calendar year). Donation matching challenge raised over $1000 from 16 donors. Membership – $1680 in membership dues.
I have a lifetime individual ZA membership ($500) & at the time there was no option for a lifetime family membership (now priced at $600). Can I pay the extra $100 now, to add my spouse? YES, fill out the form and make a note. Current membership prices are here: https://zimfest.org/about/membership/
Review Draft Village Meeting Agenda (All)
Zimbabwean Panel – Define what the purpose is and who is it for.
Fundraising Drive and Engagement (Jacqueline)
- Current progress on fundraising drive – we are at 58% of our goal. The $1000 matching challenge was successful, thank you.
- Other fundraising proposals? In Memory – post is fine but don’t include pictures. Try another matching challenge.
- Fundraising and engagement posts on Facebook – like, share and respond to gain visibility and encourage engagement.
- Support Zimfest link needs to be more visible. Place in the green bar at the top as ”Donate” and link to the Support Zimfest page. Add a button on homepage.
- A few Zimfest “Thank you” cards are available upon request.
- Review Prices of Impact
July 8th, 6:30pm PST on Google Hangouts