Last Updated: December 11, 2020
Unless otherwise noted, this Policy describes and governs the information collection, use, and sharing practices of Zimfest with respect to information gathered by our website, third party websites we use, or other Zimfest services.
Information We Collect and How It Is Used and Retained
We collect information in multiple ways, including when you provide information directly to us; when we passively collect information from you, such as from your browser or device; and from third parties (e.g. registration, application, and background check software).
We may aggregate and/or de-identify information collected through the website. We may use de-identified and/or aggregated data for any purpose, including without limitation for research and marketing purposes.
Information You Provide to Us Via the Website or Third Parties
|Type||From whom it is collected||How it is used||Retention|
|Festival registration details (workshops, housing, meals, concerts, volunteer shifts)||
|Social security number/Tax ID number||
|Work authorization information||
Information that Is Automatically Collected
We may automatically collect certain information about the computer or devices (including mobile devices or tablets) you use to access the website. As described below, we may collect and analyze:
- Device information such as location information, unique device identifiers, IMEI and TCP/IP addresses, browser types, browser languages, operating systems, mobile device carrier information, and;
- Information related to the ways in which you interact with the website, such as referring and exit web pages and URLs, platform type, the number of clicks, domain names, landing pages, pages and content viewed and the order of those pages, statistical information about the use of the website, the amount of time spent on particular pages, the date and time you used the website, the frequency of your use of the website, error logs, and other similar information.
Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
We also collect data about your use of the website through the use of Internet server logs and online tracking technologies, like cookies and/or tracking pixels. A web server log is a file where website activity is stored. A cookie is a small text file that is placed on your computer when you visit a website that enables us to:
- Recognize your computer;
- Store your preferences and settings;
- Understand the web pages you have visited and the referral sites that have led you to our website;
- Perform searches and analytics; and
- Assist with security administrative functions.
Tracking pixels (sometimes referred to as web beacons or clear GIFs) are tiny electronic tags with a unique identifier embedded in websites, online ads and/or email, and that are designed to provide usage information like ad impressions or clicks, measure popularity of the website and associated advertising, and to access user cookies.
When We Disclose Your Information
We may disclose and/or share your information under the following circumstances:
Service Providers. We may disclose your information with third parties who perform services on our behalf, including without limitation, event management (festival registration details provided to the host institution for the Festival), marketing, customer support, data storage, data analysis and processing, and legal services.
We may share your information with vendors, third party contractors, partner organizations, and volunteers for the purpose of organizing and running the event and related activities.
- to comply with legal process;
- to enforce the Code of Conduct and policies contained and incorporated therein
- to respond to your requests for customer service; and/or
- to protect the rights, property, or personal safety of Zimfest, our agents and affiliates, our users, and the public. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection, and spam/malware prevention, and similar purposes.
- Consent. We may disclose your information to any third parties based on your consent to do so.
- Aggregate/De-identified Information. We may disclose de-identified and/or aggregated data for any purpose to third parties, including advertisers, promotional partners, funders, and/or others.
Legal Basis for Processing Personal Data
The laws in some jurisdictions require companies to tell you about the legal ground they rely on to use or disclose information that can be directly linked to or used to identify you. To the extent those laws apply, our legal grounds for processing such information are as follows:
- To Honor Our Contractual Commitments to You. Much of our processing of information is to meet our contractual obligations to provide services to our users.
- Legitimate Interests. In many cases, we handle information on the ground that it furthers our legitimate interests in ways that are not overridden by the interests or fundamental rights and freedoms of the affected individuals. These include:
- Customer service;
- Marketing, advertising, and fundraising;
- Protecting our users, personnel, and property;
- Managing user accounts;
- Organizing and running events and programs;
- Analyzing and improving our business;
- Managing legal issues;
- We may also process information for the same legitimate interests of our users and business partners.
- Legal Compliance. We may need to use and disclose information in certain ways to comply with our legal obligations.
- Consent. Where required by law, and in some other cases where legally permissible, we handle information on the basis of consent. Where we handle your information on the basis of consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent in accordance with applicable law.
We may use third-party web analytics services (including Google Analytics and CrazyEgg) on our website to collect and analyze the information discussed above, and to engage in auditing, research, or reporting. The information (including your IP address) collected by various analytics technologies described in the “Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies” section above will be disclosed to or collected directly by these service providers, who use the information to evaluate your use of the website, including by noting the third-party website from which you arrive to our website, analyzing usage trends, assisting with fraud prevention, and providing certain features to you.
We have implemented technical, physical, and organizational security measures to protect against the loss, misuse, and/or alteration of your information. These safeguards vary based on the sensitivity of the information that we collect and store. However, we cannot and do not guarantee that these measures will prevent every unauthorized attempt to access, use, or disclose your information since despite our efforts, no Internet and/or other electronic transmissions can be completely secure.
Third-Party Links and Services