June 14, 2020 Zimfest Association Board Meeting Synopsis
Members in Attendance: Daniel Lockley, Jacqueline Fallon, Chris Halaska, Tendai Muparutsa, Mandy Walker-LaFollette, Janis Weeks, Alex Weeks
Members Absent: Drew Turner
Non-voting member in attendance: Claire Jones
Review Agenda (All)
Approve May Minutes/Synopsis (All)
Complete by email
Paul Hayes Drum Follow-Up (Alex)
One set is in Dana’s studio. The rest are currently in storage.
Gary Payroll Follow-Up (Alex)
Gary wants his work to be a donation to Zimfest for now.
Zimfest Membership Survey Results (Janis)
Nothing to report yet. Nora is still chewing over the results.
Not done yet but did make quite a bit of progress this past month. Recommendation to have a data protection officer on the board to decide how long data is kept for and then deleted. Mandy will take the position and Janis will shadow.
Financial Report (Chris)
As an organization we lost about $334 in 2019. Festival – in the black $2899; Association – lost $3233. The loss is mainly due to not as much in the way of donations.
Request from Moyo (Claire)
Our name could be on the grant application but we can’t be doing much more. He is not the only group that we want to show our support for and help promote.
OC Update (Claire)
- Online activities
- 1 non-profit interview (Moyo) and 2 paid presentations completed
- Final June presentation Tendai. Claire moderating; tech support, ppt needed
- Needed and generated online evaluation form using Cognito Forms
- Upcoming in July: 2-3 presentations, one non-profit interview (Lucky)
- Readying proposal apps to send out to a new set of presenter invitees inc. dance party w/ Zivanai
- Nora finding exported data from RegFox “messy,” considering changing to Cognito Forms for future registrations; we are discussing as Claire is finding needed data in RegFox
- Consider other ways to compensate Zimbabweans who cannot travel or otherwise participate?
- Get our own Zimfest Zoom account instead of calling on others each time? Zoom Pro $120 for the year (first time discount, renews at $150 for the following year)
- Following up: Mandy – Zimfest 2000 (or other) recordings to be used/licensed on homepage? – To get a couple of tracks on the website is fairly straightforward, need to get permission from the performers. Chris says Shumba would be fine with having their song used. Rerelease on the Internet – a possibility to release a selection of tracks with permission from the performer. Craig has the other CDs and would be willing to ship them if we started selling online. What would we do with the money? Put it aside for another recording?
- No update from Evergreen on 2021, but Claire attended a webinar hosted by WA State Festivals and Events Association in which it was stated that restrictions on large gatherings are likely to remain in place until there is a vaccine
Sunday July 12th, 6:30 pm Pacific time on Google Hangouts
Continue using action items
Start Agenda with items from the minutes