July 12, 2020 ZA Board Meeting Minutes

July 12, 2020 Zimfest Association Board Meeting Synopsis

Members in Attendance: Daniel Lockley, Jacqueline Fallon, Chris Halaska, Tendai Muparutsa, Mandy Walker-LaFollette, Janis Weeks, Alex Weeks
Members Absent: Drew Turner
Non-voting member in attendance: Claire Jones

Review Agenda (All)

Approve May Minutes/Synopsis (All)

Approved.

Approve June Minutes/Synopsis (All)

Will do via email

Paul/Dana – Drum Follow-Up (Alex)

  • Alex has not heard back from them yet. He will follow up with them.
  • We want to have a written agreement about their use.

Zimfest Zoom Account (Claire)

  • We have our own and it can be used for Board meetings too if we want!
  • Board, Online committee, Tech committee, all have their own “rooms.” Board meetings will be via Zoom in the future.

Privacy Policy (Alex, Mandy)

  • No progress this month, need to finish it up.

Tech Committee Update (Janis)

  • We need a “Digital Media Curator” – perhaps the board president can send an email & FB request, and/or board do active recruitment for this position.

Gary Payroll Follow-Up (Alex)

  • We have disabled auto-payments.
  • Budget: Chris will finish this up.

OC Update (Claire)

  • Alex: How have the Zoom calls been going so far? Claire: Numbers slightly down – summer effect?
  • Mini-festival w/ 3 sessions to take place the weekend that would have been Zimfest
  • 2-3 presentations in August will probably end the Online 2020 program
  • FYI: Evergreen says they have us penciled in for July 28 – Aug 2, 2021

Cultural Appropriation (All)

  • Claire: We will not make a BLM statement as Kutsinhira did.
  • Chris: We are a resource for people learning music, we need to also be a resource for information related to Cultural Appropriation.
  • Consensus: Yes, we should have Claire’s Cultural Appropriation essay on the website, we’ll go from there. Claire: It’s now on the website and we should talk in the future about what to do with this and other Miscellaneous Board Docs.

Response to Cosmas’s Death (All)

  • We (Zimfest Association) will send $200 to the Kutsinhira fund. We will revisit this in the future and determine how we can best support Cosmas’s legacy (e.g., donating/promoting Humwe).
  • We will send a blog post addressing Cosmas’s legacy, history with Zimfest, and with a link to the Kutsinhira fund. Janis will write/ask Marilyn K. to write this.
  • Mandy will add the link to the fund to Zimfest’s FB page

Next Meeting

Sunday August 9th, 6:30 pm Pacific time on Google Hangouts

Post a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *