October 9, 2022 Zimfest Association Board Meeting Synopsis
Members in Attendance: Daniel Lockley, Mandy Walker-LaFollette, Alex Weeks, Janis Weeks, Jacqueline Fallon, Tendai Muparutsa, Cloud Petayi
Members Absent: Chris Halaska
Non-voting members in attendance: Claire Jones, Trent Fallon-Muparutsa, Jared Fallon-Muparutsa
Review Agenda (All)
September Minutes/Synopsis (All)
Taxes Follow Up (Alex, Cloud)
2021 Taxes submitted.
Recruiting New Board Members (Alex)
We need more board members. Alex will send a blog post, and board members will consider people to ask directly.
Co-coordinator Structure for Zimfest Moving Forward (All)
There are a few proposals on the table: co-coordinator, as originally envisioned by Claire. Additionally, splitting more specifically into festival coordinator, plus paid bookkeeping/finance person. We will come back to this at the next board meeting with the books in front of us, to make a concrete decision.
Tech Committee Report (Janis)
Jake Roberts, Larry Israel, Nora Holmquist, Janis Weeks, Claire Jones
- Our current webhost: it is very cheap, but there was an outage the week before Zimfest and the webhost’s response was less helpful than ideal
- Working on updating the mission. Duties: 1. Backend keeping things going, researching and setting up infrastructure, etc. 2. Operational tech assisting/working with the organizing committee. Need to make sure that everything happens but work isn’t duplicated.
FYI: Lincoln Theatre Named Recipient of WA State 2022 Arts and Heritage Awards (Claire)
Janis will write an email to congratulate them on behalf of the board & OC
Online Programming (Claire, Mandy) and Draze (Dumi) Project
Draze is working with more young Zimbabweans in LA – definitely will do something with us sometime (online event)
Online event – would be ideal to *at least* have submissions from folks before the end of the year so that we can send payment before the end of the year/Christmas
Zimfest 2023 Site Updates
- Claire: Definite NO for PLU 2023, but 2024 is possible
- Alex: Still working on OSU, no updates, should have more info next week which I will post
- Would need to do a site visit to make sure the ballroom backstage works for us (load-in & load-out, marimba staging) Alex will set this up
- Mandy: have not heard back from CWU (2 emails sent), will call this week.
- Contact the music department? Jacqueline is CWU alum
- Masters Music program for elementary/middle school teachers every summer
- No live festival 2023?
- Striking out most places, OSU LaSells center out for 2023
- Visa/immigration process for bringing Zimbabweans here is still a nightmare. People have been needing to cancel tours and/or pay exorbitant amounts to make it happen.