Members in Attendance: Daniel Lockley, Mandy Walker-LaFollette, Alex Weeks, Janis Weeks, Tendai Muparutsa, Heather Steele, Maria Minnaar Bailey, Jacqueline Fallon
Members Absent: Chris Halaska, Cloud Petayi
Non-voting members in attendance: Claire Jones, Trent Fallon-Muparutsa
Review Agenda (All)
December Synopsis (All)
January Minutes/Synopsis (All)
Finalize Gary Spalter’s Financial Contract (All)
Board has approved hiring Gary Spalter as an independent contractor. Start date: February 1st, 2023.
QuickBooks Transfer to Gary (Cloud)
Cloud is not present, but Alex is working with him to transfer QuickBooks to Gary.
ZA Tech Committee Report (Janis)
- Upgrading of website hosting has been finalized.
- Data tables have been switched to a subdomain of our WordPress site instead of using Nora Holmquist’s website.
- Backups – discussing options.
- Increasing security standards for people who can access our WordPress site.
Financial Tasks (Alex)
We need to purchase and/or extend D&O insurance by 4/15. Janis has done this in the past, and is willing to do it this year again.
2023 Policy Review (All)
The board reviewed and approved or updated our existing policies. Changes or discussions of note:
Code of Conduct
- Claire updates each year with local festival information (location, age of consent state law)
- Maria will replace Janis as a person to report complaints to
Zimbabwean Guest Travel Policy
- Clarify that reimbursement (aside from fellowships) is only up to the stated cap.
- Increase reimbursement cap back to $650
Zimbabwean Teacher Fellowship
(Hope First donation of $2225.99 is to be used for this purpose.) The Board added a category “Discretionary Fellowship.” If funds allow and the OC wants to bring additional qualifying Zimbabwean teacher(s) beyond those receiving the Veteran and New Teacher Fellowships, they may do so.
COVID Safety Policy for 2023 (All)
- What should we do this year?
- Janis (previously head of Covid Safety Committee) suggests not requiring vaccines, but again strongly recommending masking.
- Maria recommends a statement strongly recommending the vaccine (and current booster).
- General agreement that we should allow teachers to require masking in their workshops. Alex is willing to be the person, should this come up, to require someone to leave a workshop if they are not following the teacher’s wishes.
- We MUST make some sort of statement on the blog asap before applications close Feb 28 – applicants want to know what to expect
- Maria will draft language that we can publish. Janis will send Maria the url to the 2022 Covid Safety policy.
Zimfest 2023 Update (Claire)
- Applications going very s.l.o.w.l.y – fewer at this point than other years.
- OSU negotiations
- It looks like School of Visual, Performing, and Design Arts (SVPDA) will be the OSU sponsor enabling us to work with the University Events Coordinator, get OSU rates on services and classrooms and allow Int’l Services to co-sign invitation letters for B visas. Events Coordinator is working on a MOA which will outline responsibilities.
- Housing and Dining (UHDS)
- We are assigned to McNary Dorm, in which we will be able to use lounges for workshops, ground floor for registration, 2nd floor rooms for storage.
- Add’l workshops to be in Memorial Union (and hopefully Community Hall in music building – under SVPDA). Fees unknown at this point.
- Village Meeting: Hoping to use cafeteria in Dining Center. Alternatives would be to rent a large room in the Memorial Union or make it virtual.
- Requested use of one of the dorm lounges for late night parties, but curfew has to be midnight. (Outdoor concert curfew is 11 PM.)
- UHDS to send agreement in writing in “the coming weeks” i.e. March?
- We have not yet asked about possible camping and/or RVing on campus. Would likely involve another permit, more $ and dedicated volunteer help.
- Sound permit for outdoor concerts at McNary Field has been approved, Thaddeus/Sprout City Studios has been lined up to do sound, and concert producer Chris Halaska working on staging infrastructure, bids from vendors, etc.
- We are pursuing using the Corvallis Methodist Church north of McNary Field for one or more workshop rooms. Jaiaen Beck/Ancient Ways used to teach there and is heading negotiations with a student who is a church member and can get member rates. Doors have to remain locked and we would need volunteer help to be there at all times workshops are happening. Total costs unknown as of yet. Requires a signed contract and certificate of insurance.
Food for Thought/Discussion (Claire)
Our present work model means topics are brought up one month and discussion and/or action is usually not taken until at least a month later. Things are not getting done in a timely manner. How can we improve this?
- Meet more often? Potentially meet 2x/month for a shorter amount of time?
- Commit to doing work between meetings
- Commit to taking care of action items as soon as they are assigned
- Sending out minutes and synopsis soon after the meeting, and board members commit to respond in a timely manner to approve.
- Alex may send out an email gathering opinions for what to do.
Sunday, March 12, 2023 at 6:30pm Pacific Time on Zoom.