November 14, 2021 Zimfest Association Board Meeting Synopsis
Members in Attendance: Daniel Lockley, Jacqueline Fallon, Tendai Muparutsa, Cloud Petayi, Mandy Walker-LaFollette, Janis Weeks, Alex Weeks
Members Absent: Chris Halaska
Non-voting members in attendance: Claire Jones, Jared Fallon-Muparutsa
Review Agenda (All)
Approve October Minutes/Synopsis (All)
Approve Village Meeting Minutes/Synopsis (All)
Minutes approved, Synopsis will get sent out after the meeting.
Festival Coordinator Contract Paperwork Follow Up (Alex)
Alex will get the updated contract out with dates fixed.
Membership Report (Daniel)
The new membership site is live and ready. Early adopters can give it a try. Have the board members sign up through the new system to give it a try. Daniel will send out a link. Janis, Daniel, Larry, Mandy and Nora have been working on getting a new membership system up and running. A big thank you to them.
Update Membership Clause in Bylaws (Janis)
The board approved the proposed changes. Janis will also check to see if they need to be updated with the state of WA.
Gender-Inclusive Language in Bylaws (Janis)
The board approved of the idea, Janis will make proposed changes for consideration at the next board meeting. We are being proactive. The current bylaws use “he/she”, “him/her” language; we will amend the bylaws to use “they/their/theirs”.
Tech Committee Report (Janis)
Tech Committee doesn’t have anything to report, they haven’t met recently.
Treasurer Final Report on Zimfest Festival Finances 2021 (Cloud)
Net income for Zimfest 2021 is about $3,000. Still need to do more with the Association report to finalize and see what the end of year membership drive brings in. Claire will need the bottom line numbers before the end of January.
Dumi Maraire (Draze) Reaching Out (Claire)
He would like to see Zimfest thrive as an organization. He moved to LA a few years ago. He does mostly hip hop. Has some new songs that have some Zimbabwean roots. He has a new album coming out soon and wondered if we would want to stream it. Claire will be in touch with him.
Zimfest 2022 (All)
November 2021 update on potential 2022 Zimfest sites and planning:
- N.B. Nhemamusasa North – Ted Wright has penciled in August 9-13 at OUR Ecovillage.
- Evergreen – plans to host conferences next summer but cannot accommodate Zimfest until the week of Aug. 15, 2022. Claire said let’s think about 2023 instead.
COVID guidelines: Vaccination to be required for all event participants and the contracting group attesting to the fact that all participants have received vaccination or medical/religious exemption that follows Governor Inslee’s current regulations/mandates.
- Kyra S. reached out to Central Washington U Conferences Services and failed to hear from them, again.
- She also contacted Camp Casey (owned and operated by SPU; on Whidbey Island) but they are not hosting events larger than 125 people at this time.
- Whidbey Island Fairgrounds, Langley WA, 1’15” north of Seattle with a ferry. Next year’s fair July 28, 29, 30 & 31, 2022. Zimfest did a site visit in 2014, made a proposal for 2015, then they dropped us because ownership of and responsibility for the grounds was changing. Facilities may have undergone extensive changes since then. Camping possible on grounds.
- Skagit County Fairgrounds, Mt. Vernon WA, 1+ hour north of Seattle. Next year’s fair August 10-13, 2022; features three stages. Tent Camping/RV Camping is allowed at the fairgrounds in conjunction with large events, and partner lodging establishments offer a 10-15% discount to Fairgrounds users. Seems like a good medium-size venue worth checking out. https://www.skagitcounty.net/Departments/Fairgrounds/main.htm
Sunday December 12th, 6:30 pm Pacific time on Zoom