March 13th, 2022 Zimfest Association Board Meeting Synopsis
Members in Attendance: Jacqueline Fallon, Tendai Muparutsa, Cloud Petayi, Mandy Walker-LaFollette, Janis Weeks, Alex Weeks
Members Absent: Chris Halaska, Daniel Lockley
Non-voting members in attendance: Claire Jones
Review Agenda (All)
January/February Minutes/Synopsis (All)
Approved by the board
OCCU Account Access Update (Cloud, Claire, Alex)
Let the minutes reflect that the current directors of Zimfest Association Board are as follows:
- Alex Weeks, President
- Jacqueline Fallon, Secretary
- Daniel Lockley, Membership Officer
- Cloud Petayi, Treasurer
- Chris Halaska, Outgoing Treasurer
- Janis Weeks
- Mandy Walker-LaFollette
- Tendai Muparutsa
- Ex Officio: Claire Jones, Festival Coordinator
Authorized signers to the Oregon Community Credit Union account are now: Alex Weeks, Janis Weeks, Chris Halaska, Claire Jones, Cloud Petayi. As David Simon left the Board in 2018, he should be removed from the account.
2021 Financial Summary (also current year budget; Cloud)
Due March 1. Isn’t ready to present something yet. This needs to be completed this week for Claire.
D&O Insurance Bill
Claire rec’d in mail. To be paid by treasurer. Cloud to set up payment.
Was paid ahead with discount for one year and instructions given in annual calendar for next payment.
COVID Safety Committee Update (Janis)
Janis wants to have another person join the committee. The board is supportive of adding another member. The committee will be requesting proof of vaccination prior to the festival. The board approves as is. If no comments by March 18th, the Covid Safety web page will go live on March 19th.
Background Check Policy Revisit (All)
Waiting for the insurance policy, haven’t received it yet. Background checks – what are we checking, what are we looking for, do they have ongoing contact, who are we trying to weed out? Sexual harassment, sexual assault and money offenses. Revisit at the next meeting.
Village Meeting Scheduling (All)
Alex will work with the board to schedule the meeting.
Zimfest 2022 OC Update (Claire)
- State of apps final weekend of Feb. led to decision to hold live festival. Low number of teachers led to decision to cut short activities at the Fairgrounds by one day
- Mapfumo? Still under negotiation. We proposed a live show at Lincoln. They counter-proposed acoustic only set for $3000. The board is okay with the idea of moving forward but we need more information before we can agree on an amount.
- A couple of Zimbabweans not based in US have applied to come without B1 institutional sponsorship – donations only
- Need more ZA policy advice: We normally give per diem money for Zim. teacher meals until campus meal plan kicks in. With no meal plan at SCF, amt. of cash payouts will be excessive. Can we offer lodging to non-qualifying spouses in lieu of cash for food? The board approves.
- Now working on:
- Interviewing new Zimbabweans, getting references on new teacher applicants
- Finalizing contracts w/ SCF, Lincoln Theatre, MV Senior Center
- Insurance – info sent
- Solicited late workshop apps, will meet soon to determine scheduling
- New OC member w/ interest in ongoing online concerts to be part of concerts team – yay! Meet soon to sort out daytime, evening hybrid and online concerts
- Informational webpages
- Sound system and engineer – we do not need a fancy system for two daytime concerts. Jake will put together a system using his and borrowed equipment, Thaddeus will come alone from Eugene to run it and consult at Lincoln for half the price
- Organizing the festival!
Sunday April 10th, 6:30 pm Pacific time on Zoom