April 12, 2020 ZA Board Meeting Minutes

April 12, 2020 Zimfest Association Board Meeting Synopsis

Members in Attendance: Daniel Lockley, Jacqueline Fallon, Chris Halaska, Tendai Muparutsa, Mandy Walker-LaFollette, Janis Weeks, Alex Weeks
Members Absent: Drew Turner
Non-voting member in attendance: Claire Jones

Review Agenda (All, 5 mins)

No changes

Approve March Minutes/Synopsis (All)

Finalize by email this week

Claire’s Contract Follow Up (All)

Claire still feels like she is engaged for a while. Keep the status quo. Revisit the conversation in about 3 months.

Drum Donation from Paul Hayes Follow Up (Alex)

Alex sent a thank you note today from the board and to find out if Paul has had any recent contact about a possible location for the drums during non-Zimfest times.

Final Budget 2019 (Chris)

Chris has been able to do a little more work, but with school being closed down it has been a challenge to work on it. Chris still needs some assistance from the OC on the RegFox side. The tax deadline has been extended to Nov. 16th for non profits. Need to ask for an extension.

Fundraising Efforts in 2020 (Claire)

Draft a message to send out.

FYIs from Janis on Background Checks & After5Radio (Janis)

We have set up a way for Canadians to get their backgrounds checked. Janis has an appointment set up for next week with After5Radio to find out more about potential live-streaming at next Zimfest.

Organizing Committee Update (Claire)

  • Wrapping up 2020
    • Cancellation notices sent to applicants (different ones for those accepted and not) no guarantees made, must reapply in 2021
    • All volunteers who helped out in some way have been thanked personally
    • Claire updated the Thank You page on the web (https://zimfest.org/festival/thank-you-zimfest-2020-organizers/)
    • Seattle Prep Marimbas update – they are sitting at the school right now, and the teacher said it is fine. He is hoping that they will use them once school starts up in the Fall.
    • Evergreen response – We are still welcome another year. Turns out Bryce of Conf. Services was called to FEMA planning group meetings, taking him away from his job. Deposit will be returned when office workers return to work (but $300 still a question mark)
    • Claire figures we are wrapped up with Evergreen for this year.
  • Updated logo(s) from artwork submitted by Penny!: Asked this artist for the work that she did on our logo by adding color. The Board would like to use this for our updated logo. Send her a release form to sign.
  • Moving forward – most of OC is willing to remain as volunteers
    • Online engagement activities – suggestion: Presentations via Zoom or Google Hangouts Meet
      • Would require coordination, presenters, tech assistance. Ask for donations? Do not want to step on anyone’s toes but be inclusive. Good to include Zimbabweans to help facilitate their engagement. Build a menu of offerings? Could be live and then remain accessible. Claire has PPT presentations she can offer
    • Website homepage redesign project moving s-l-o-w-l-y, desire for music, images and video clips. Can OC and Board act as a focus group providing feedback on the website? Some questions need to be answered to help move forward.
    • Nora suggests requesting a volunteer to act as Digital Media Curator: “Lead the way for Zimfest in the sourcing, collection, adjustment, inventory, and presentation of media types including audio, video, and photos.”
    • 2021 Zimfest? No site has been lined up. WOU, Western Washington? Whidbey Island?, Central WA? Bellevue College, PLU, do we want to try Evergreen for 2021 (not likely). Two people volunteered to work on site evaluation for un-visited places: Central Washington and Ellensburg Rodeo Grounds

Open Discussion About Direction of Zimfest in 2020 (All)

Continue on with the technical side like online Membership. RegFox does have a membership site in testing mode. Some kind of presentations online. A concert series in the Seattle area or Portland, a day of concerts. It is still possible that Marilyn K. could still bring Musekiwa over. Brainstorm possible locations for a day of concerts.

Next Meeting

Sunday May 10th, 6:30 pm Pacific time on Google Hangouts

Mother’s Day – postpone