May 16, 2021 Zimfest Association Board Meeting Synopsis
Members in Attendance: Daniel Lockley, Jacqueline Fallon, Tendai Muparutsa, Cloud Petayi, Janis Weeks, Mandy Walker-LaFollette, Alex Weeks
Members Absent: Chris Halaska, Drew Turner
Non-voting member in attendance: Claire Jones, Jared Fallon-Muparutsa
Review Agenda (All)
Approve April Minutes/Synopsis
Approve by email
Cloud Treasurer Official Vote (All)
Voted to officially give Cloud Petayi the treasurer position. Cloud has started looking at a few things. Planning some meetings with a few different people to help transition.
ZATC Update (Claire/Janis)
Claire: Nora is starting to work on a different Membership system. ZATC decided to no longer accept checks to make bookkeeping easier.
Subcommittee working on homepage – the audio is the piece remaining along with a contract to be able to post the music.
Drum Contract Follow-Up (Alex)
The contract is signed and saved in our folder.
Zimfest 2021 Update / OC Update May 16 (Claire)
- Zimfest 2021 conceived as “a quilt of local events stitched together” – see 5/5 blog post https://zimfest.org/news/blog/
- OC members have action items to make contact with the various communities to help make things happen, ask each community to designate a contact person, possibly MC
- Virtual Marketplace planned, searching for a Marketplace Coordinator
- Decided not to seek involvement of After5 Radio, too much to do
- Board guidance requested on budgetary concerns
- for individual workshops, split proceeds half/half as in 2020?
- how much to offer N. Americans and Zimbabweans abroad for data and other expenses, payments for performances?
- UK/SA/Zim – what is the estimated cost if we hosted them here?
- Does the Board want to set a max outlay, given we have no idea of income?
- In light of the above, we agreed maybe this isn’t the year for trying to set up a Mapfumo live-streamed concert. We would need major involvement of Eugene folks and probably major dollars.
Claire: WA State Recovery Grant submitted! Requested funding to cover expenses incurred between March 1, 2020 and June 30, 2021: Claire requested $12,500-14,999.
Cloud is looking into a grant through his employer.
Respond about the “Partnership Inquiry” email (and come up plan to ensure we respond to similar communications in the future) (All)
In the future, the President will respond and the Secretary will also help.
Sunday June 13th, 6:30 pm Pacific time on Zoom