July 14, 2019 Zimfest Association Board Meeting Synopsis
Members in Attendance: Jacqueline Fallon, Chris Halaska, Daniel Lockley, Tendai Muparutsa, Mandy Walker-LaFollette, Alex Weeks, Janis Weeks
Members Absent: None
Non-voting member in attendance: Claire Jones
Review/Modify Agenda (All)
Nothing new to add
Approve June Minutes & Synopsis (All)
May and June minutes were approved
Zimfest 2019 Update (Claire)
- Current registration 170. Housing and Dining close midnight July 20; last day for workshops and volunteers sign ups July 31. Some low enrollment workshops already cancelled, more to come.
- Zimfest Youtube channel; first interview done and posted https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exsxY_nYE_A
- Festival Insurance needs to be purchased and certificate sent to Claire and Trina by July 25.
- Cash management and Front house managers SIGN UP NOW: Board members are signing up to cover slots.
- Accounting volunteer to be asked to help with 1099s and 1042s to be done at the festival.
- FYI: 5% Sales commission to be requested for any sales above $500 outside of the market. What about mbiras or other instruments being sold at Zimfest outside of marketplace vendors? We have someone who is going to bring some used mbiras and is willing to pay the commission. A note will be on the used instrument board about “The sales commission being in fairness with the marketplace vendors.”
- Certificates of Appreciation for Zimbabweans – Alex will take it on
- Licensed chair massage being offered to a select group of people
- Survey question idea. The survey could be directed toward everyone — those who didn’t attend, as well as those who did. The past few years, at least, it has only been for attendees. In addition to publicizing it that way, the first question could be Did you attend Zimfest 2018? If they didn’t, we ask why not, and maybe a couple more questions. Just a thought.
- N.B. Evergreen requires Booking fee of around $500 to confirm booking; $300 can be applied to festival costs
- A few Zimbabwean guests needing accommodations or transport help.
- More visa appointment dates are available when one looks online.
- We currently only have one volunteer at the afternoon stage. Last year there were two, that also helped them have little breaks.
- Board + interested Zimbabweans lunch meeting Sat 11:45 – 12:45 Valsetz Conference Room
New Donor Matching Update (Jacqueline)
10 new donors, After Zimfest let’s do another matching challenge.
When/Where is the Board Meeting at the Festival? (All)
8:30am Sunday meeting. The village meeting is our official annual meeting. A suggestion was given to start with a song.
Village meeting and Sunday 8:30am, Zimfest 2019
I totally appreciate and value the work of the Board and all Zimfest volunteers. Thank you!
Seeing minutes this old feels more like reading history rather than reading the news. By having minutes of board meetings come out 5 months after the meeting (or even 2 or 3 months) means that those of us who aren’t directly involved in conversations with board members on a regular basis aren’t in a position to comment or volunteer or ask questions in a timely manner. I would prefer having draft minutes posted with the understanding that there may be corrections rather than waiting a month or more for them to be approved.
Thank you for the consideration.