June 9, 2019 Zimfest Association Board Meeting Synopsis
Members in Attendance: Chris Halaska, Daniel Lockley, Mandy Walker-LaFollette, Alex Weeks, Janis Weeks
Members Absent: Tendai Muparutsa, Jacqueline Fallon
Non-voting member in attendance: Claire Jones
A quorum was declared
Review/Modify Agenda (All)
Nothing to add
Approval of the May Minutes/Synopsis (All)
Approve by email
Zimfest 2019 Update (Claire)
- Registration is still slow, one per day. As of June 9: 115 registrants, 291 workshop slots sold (of 1018 max)
- Zim Guests update: One visa is approved, others are working on the application and one has and interview date. Janis & Alex are checking to see if we have contacts at the US Embassy in Harare.
- Publicity efforts: Anesu Ndoro will be doing marketing interviews (and working at registration onsite) w/ Pamela Ngwenya and Gilbert Zvamaida
- Posters sent to Oregon volunteers
- Press release to Monmouth City and Oregon media outlets.
- Concerts and performers are set: contracts/agreements sent; performers are displayed on website. Info needed from late additions to the lineup.
- Sprout City reduced their sound expenses by renting equipment from a different source and reducing # sound people to three
- WOU responses and updates
- Guest wifi login for participants to last three days
- WOU housing check-in at Ackerman on Thursday noon-5 PM only; otherwise at RSC. Breakfast times changed to 7-9 AM. All rooms now have mini-fridges and microwaves. Two meals/day requirement unchanged; we should be proactive, cautioning about food waste and food left in fridges.
- No meal purchase discount unless we hit 300 purchasers. However, we will be eligible for new discount of 10% on rooms for WOU-sponsored groups!
- Marimba procuring, tee shirt ordering, Festival Guide etc. in progress
- Festival Guide articles are needed from the Board: Membership and Fundraising (Daniel and Jacqueline); Board report (Alex).
- Registration software, website content, etc. are largely proceeding on schedule. Bug fixes, revisions and improvements are ongoing (e.g., monthly reports).
- ZATC will evaluate RegFox after festival
- Follow-through on tasks has been challenging. Better prioritization and tracking of tasks have been instituted.
Zimfest 2020 (Claire)
- Evergreen is holding July 30 – Aug 2, 2020 for Zimfest.
- Discussion of whether to commit yet. The decision was to delay an official decision on whether to hold a 2020 festival after this year’s festival based on commitment from the community and the success of this year’s festival.
Donation Campaign (Alex)
- The goal of 20 new donors over a month to unlock the $500 match was not achieved. But we did get 10 new donors.
Adjourned 8:09 PM
Sunday July 14th, 6:30 pm PST on Google Hangouts