October 10, 2021 ZA Board Meeting Minutes

October 10, 2021 Zimfest Association Board Meeting Synopsis

Members in Attendance: Daniel Lockley, Jacqueline Fallon, Cloud Petayi, Mandy Walker-LaFollette, Janis Weeks, Alex Weeks
Members Absent: Chris Halaska, Tendai Muparutsa
Non-voting members in attendance: Claire Jones, Jared Fallon-Muparutsa

Review Agenda (All)

Approve September Minutes/Synopsis (All)

Approved

Village Meeting Notes

In progress but not finished yet.

  • Discussion of sharing the Zoom video at the Village Meeting. Board re-confirmed that the video will not be made public.

Festival Coordinator Contract Renewal (All)

Claire’s current contract expires at the end of this month.

  • Change contract back to a 12 month contract
  • Add an increase to $10,000 for the year – $833 per month
    • Alex will finalize the contract.

WA State Charities Program Registration (All)

The current registration expires on 11/30. We need to identify an owner for this. Claire has been doing these reports since becoming Fest. coordinator and has no problem continuing to do so. Claire will take care of this.

Treasurer Report (Cloud)

  • Cloud needs access to a few accounts still. A few will discuss with better ways of storing/sharing account info
  • Initial accounting of donations that came in for the Zimfest concerts
    • It is missing some income breakdowns that would be helpful; Claire and Cloud will meet and discuss to clarify/update.
    • Daniel will send a list of current members to Cloud (member payments may be in the wrong income stream)

Upcoming Treasurer Duties

Need to make check payments to four workshop teachers for their share of donations from September registrations for viewing recordings. Current year financials need to be completed by 11/30. Need to set up automatic payments again for paying Gary S. for payroll services.

Tech Committee Report (Janis)

  • RegFox has a beta membership management system. Board members should follow the link in email to check current membership status (or register).
  • Tech Committee is also talking about purpose and mandate. Sometimes wires get crossed with OC over who should do what parts. TC should be providing the technical tools that other people can use.
  • RegFox removed Zimbabwe from the country dropdown menu in the address field. TC will follow up with RegFox, as 1. Sanctions have not changed recently, and 2. Zimbabwe as a whole is not sanctioned regardless, so Zimbabwe should not be removed from the country list.

Membership Prices (Daniel)

  • We have not raised membership dues in a long time (since 2013). While overhauling the membership system is a perfect time to do it.
  • And consider additional perks?
    • Open registration early for members?
      • Make sure teachers with 10 kids can only fill up to half of a workshop’s slots.
      • Early registration can only fill up 75% of a workshop’s slots?
    • Discounted concert tickets?
  • Consensus from Board:
    • 25% increase in membership costs matches inflation (with creative rounding, and lifetimes more like $600 & $700)
    • Add an additional perk: early registration
    • Look into the bylaws to add that board members need to be members

Privacy Policy Update (Mandy)

Update approved. Mandy will make updates, create PDF, and give Larry new information for the website.

Zimfest 2022 (All)

  • OC is on a break, no news to report.
  • We have no site, and any site we might ask wouldn’t know either. People have inquired as to whether there will be a festival. (When) Should the board make a statement as to whether there will be a festival?
    • Current goal: have an in-person festival. No firm site located/nailed down.
    • Claire can contact Evergreen to inquire. Central WA U? Bellingham? Other types of sites? Fairgrounds/conference centers/other commercial venues. Conference centers may be more likely to be open than university sites?
    • Come to the next board meeting with ideas for where/how to hold next year’s festival.
    • By the end of the year, we should send out a blog post (as the Board) updating the community about next year’s festival.

Next Meeting

Sunday November 14th, 6:30 pm Pacific time on Zoom

Post a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *