December 11, 2022 ZA Board Meeting Minutes

December 11, 2022 Zimfest Association Board Meeting Synopsis

Members in Attendance: Daniel Lockley, Mandy Walker-LaFollette, Alex Weeks, Janis Weeks, Tendai Muparutsa, Heather Steele, Jacqueline Fallon
Members Absent: Chris Halaska, Cloud Petayi
Non-voting members in attendance: Claire Jones, Jared Fallon-Muparutsa

Review Agenda (All)

November Minutes/Synopsis (All)


Interview Pre-Brief (All)

Interview: Maria Minnaar Bailey

ZA board interviewed Maria Minnaar Bailey as a potential new board member.

Interview Debrief/Decision (All)

Brief discussion – sounds good to us! We invite her to join the board.

Zimfest 2022 Festival Financial Report (Cloud)

Cloud is not at this meeting; Alex will call Cloud to see where we’re at.

Membership/End of Year Drive Update (Daniel)

We have 7 new members since the membership drive email went out, automatic renewals are starting to happen. Daniel will send out another around the new year.

Tech Committee (Janis)

We are continuing discussions of the committee’s mission; in the process of evaluating possible ticket systems for users to submit problems; and evaluating possible upgrade to our web hosting plan at ForwardWeb to see if that helps with problems we have experienced.

2022 Online Programming Update (Mandy)

We’re ready to go with this event – one concert, “premiered” on YouTube next Saturday (pre-recorded and pre-assembled video, acts like a stream on YT where people can chat, will stay up and available to those who purchase tickets for at least several months).

Approve New Contract for Claire (All)


Zimfest 2023 Update/Handoff/etc

  • Any responses yet for the “Call for volunteers for Zimfest 2023” post sent by Claire a week ago? C: Very few, only proofreaders! Claire usually ends up having to write to people personally.
  • Alex will write a handoff email for Claire with the representatives he has been talking to at OSU, and Claire has identified some faculty/departments to approach about festival sponsorship for B1 Honoraria.
  • Ready to put out call for artwork. Recommending continued use of theme Music Dancing Across Borders instead of coming up with a new theme every year: approved. Could also recycle previous years’ themes, to change it up each year.

Gary Spalter Financial Services Follow-Up (Alex, Claire)

We will continue discussion about specific duties that will fall on Gary, Claire, Cloud/Treasurer, and Alex, and/or others.