July 11, 2021 Zimfest Association Board Meeting Synopsis
Members in Attendance: Daniel Lockley, Jacqueline Fallon, Tendai Muparutsa, Janis Weeks, Mandy Walker-LaFollette, Alex Weeks
Members Absent: Chris Halaska, Cloud Petayi, Drew Turner
Non-voting member in attendance: Claire Jones, Jared Fallon-Muparutsa
Review Agenda (All)
Approve June Minutes/Synopsis (All)
Treasurer Onboarding Update (Cloud)
Janis needs to set up an appointment at the credit union with a manager to get Cloud added. Janis will check to see who Kutsinhira uses, maybe for plan B.
Tech Committee Update (Janis)
Larry is ready to put the schedule on the web page as it becomes available. Janis and Nora are ready to help with any tech. issues for the workshops. Janis to remind the board about the village meeting.
Zimfest 2021!!! (Claire)
Festival dates: July 30th-August 1st.
OC Update July 11
- June 30 was performance/workshop application deadline, program committee has made selections and sent acceptances and denials
- July 10 was deadline for Virtual Vendor apps; we have a nice lineup featuring *new* vendors and importers selling instruments and wares made by Zimbabwean craftspeople. Will also have a list of instrument makers who have given permission to list their contact info. See https://zimfest.org/festival/marketplace/
- Desire for a Coordinator and Videographer in Harare led us to Blessing Chimanga, who has done similar work with Kutandara, Alliance Française, Zimbabwe-German Society and others. Signed contractual agreement with him; he has made 8/10 recordings of selected Harare-area musicians as of Saturday.
- Looking to finalize outline of program schedule inc. Village Mtg. 11am-12:30pm Sunday Aug 1. We can change the date/time if necessary. Do we want to make it at a time accessible from abroad?
- OC working on messaging that will directly address stated lack of interest in the online festival – ideas welcome
- Looking for online MCs – anyone interested?
- PayPal buttons on our website now give payers option of adding in fees Zimfest would otherwise be liable for. Link to donate to Zimfest 2021 (for viewing the program) will go to the Festival Account () so that we can track festival income separately from memberships and “Support Zimfest” donations.
- Will need assistance of Board Treasurer in making payments after the festival.
Village Meeting at Zimfest 2021 (Alex, Mandy)
Per our bylaws, there must be an annual membership meeting. Normally, this is handled in person at the festival, but will have to be virtual this year. Alex will draft an agenda for this board meeting, and we should spend some time editing it during the meeting. Will also need to work out the technical details ahead of time, and do a test run to avoid any last-minute snafus.
Sunday August 8th, 6:30 pm Pacific time on Zoom