July 8, 2018 Zimfest Association Board Meeting Synopsis
Members in Attendance: Jacqueline Fallon, Chris Halaska, Evelyn Mukwedeya, David Simon, Mandy Walker-LaFollette, Alex Weeks, Janis Weeks
Members Absent: Daniel Lockley
Non-voting member in attendance: Claire Jones
Align on Wording of Communication re: Zimfest 2019
We hope to hold a festival at Western Oregon University again. However, this is contingent on key positions in the Organizing Committee being filled and a sufficient body of support volunteers stepping forward by the end of August 2018.
Review and Approve June Minutes
Review/Modify Agenda (All)
Tech Initiative (Alex/Janis)
Proceeding fairly smoothly with the registration system itself. Now coordinating all the tech hardware and for the registration desk at Zimfest.
Organizing Committee Update (Claire/Mandy)
Update Zimfest 2018 July 8, 2018
- Zimbabweans update: Barnabas and Tawanda applications abandoned, time ran out. Jacob and Martha denied after first being approved; Abel, Patience approved. Tafadzwa has Embassy interview in mid-July; Alois trying to apply. Patience has visa but struggling to come up with clean $US for ticket purchase; we will buy his ticket here. Need to make up the difference between his earnings, travel reimbursement and ticket total. Ask Patience to set up a GoFundMe page, we will help spread the message.
- Registration: 320 registrants as of 7/5. Housing and dining reg to close 7/20; workshops 8/1.
- Workshops: Claire and Nora have replaced Barnabas, Tawanda, Jacob and Martha workshops
- Outreach activities for Lucky/Tsungi: Workshop at River Gallery in Independence 5-6 PM; Gretel still looking for something earlier in the day Aug 8
- Performers and concerts: Friday Afternoon finally settled; waiting to hear on Tafadzwa’s visa for Mafuleni/Tsoro Arts Sat evening slot.
- Programming: Zimbabwean lunch meeting with Board
- Open marimba jam-time is a go, Friday and Saturday dinnertime
- Volunteers: Signups improving after two messages encouraging them last week.
- Board tasks at the festival: Certificate of Appreciation, Evening Front House Manager, Cash Management plan
- Margie – Bass and baritone purchase update: Group decided NOT to sell, but happy to let us use them this year. Perhaps a lease agreement with donation towards ex-member with Parkinson’s?
Review Village Meeting Content (All)
- Board Updates (Evelyn)
- Treasurer’s Report (Chris) – report on 2016, 2017 (off year does cost us money), 2018 projection
- Membership Report (Daniel)
Marimba Donation (All)
We need to evaluate the set and discuss.
Fundraising Drive and Engagement (Jacqueline)
- $500 Matching update – $340 was collected so far before the end date
- $185 was collected from after the $1000 match to before the $500 match
- $525 total raised since $1000 match
- Roundtable: Why is it important to give to Zimfest? – What value do we give to the membership beyond the registration discount? What other creative incentives can we come up with for being a member? Early registration, t-shirt, special item, poster
- Discuss board member fundraising expectations – paid membership fees and highly encourage each board member to donate or non monetary ways that they can contribute if they are not able to donate
- Revise a sample form to suit our board.
Align on Next Meeting Date (All)
Sunday, August 12th, Breakfast 8am