July 8, 2018 ZA Board Meeting Minutes

July 8, 2018 Zimfest Association Board Meeting Synopsis

Members in Attendance: Jacqueline Fallon, Chris Halaska, Evelyn Mukwedeya, David Simon, Mandy Walker-LaFollette, Alex Weeks, Janis Weeks
Members Absent: Daniel Lockley
Non-voting member in attendance: Claire Jones

Align on Wording of Communication re: Zimfest 2019

We hope to hold a festival at Western Oregon University again. However, this is contingent on key positions in the Organizing Committee being filled and a sufficient body of support volunteers stepping forward by the end of August 2018.

Review and Approve June Minutes

Approved

Review/Modify Agenda (All)

No additions

Tech Initiative (Alex/Janis)

Proceeding fairly smoothly with the registration system itself. Now coordinating all the tech hardware and for the registration desk at Zimfest.

Organizing Committee Update (Claire/Mandy)

Update Zimfest 2018 July 8, 2018

  • Zimbabweans update: Barnabas and Tawanda applications abandoned, time ran out. Jacob and Martha denied after first being approved; Abel, Patience approved. Tafadzwa has Embassy interview in mid-July; Alois trying to apply. Patience has visa but struggling to come up with clean $US for ticket purchase; we will buy his ticket here. Need to make up the difference between his earnings, travel reimbursement and ticket total. Ask Patience to set up a GoFundMe page, we will help spread the message.
  • Registration: 320 registrants as of 7/5. Housing and dining reg to close 7/20; workshops 8/1.
  • Workshops: Claire and Nora have replaced Barnabas, Tawanda, Jacob and Martha workshops
  • Outreach activities for Lucky/Tsungi: Workshop at River Gallery in Independence 5-6 PM; Gretel still looking for something earlier in the day Aug 8
  • Performers and concerts: Friday Afternoon finally settled; waiting to hear on Tafadzwa’s visa for Mafuleni/Tsoro Arts Sat evening slot.
  • Programming: Zimbabwean lunch meeting with Board
  • Open marimba jam-time is a go, Friday and Saturday dinnertime
  • Volunteers: Signups improving after two messages encouraging them last week.
  • Board tasks at the festival: Certificate of Appreciation, Evening Front House Manager, Cash Management plan
  • Margie – Bass and baritone purchase update: Group decided NOT to sell, but happy to let us use them this year. Perhaps a lease agreement with donation towards ex-member with Parkinson’s?

Review Village Meeting Content (All)

  • Board Updates (Evelyn)
  • Treasurer’s Report (Chris) – report on 2016, 2017 (off year does cost us money), 2018 projection
  • Membership Report (Daniel)

Marimba Donation (All)

We need to evaluate the set and discuss.

Fundraising Drive and Engagement (Jacqueline)

  • $500 Matching update – $340 was collected so far before the end date
  • $185 was collected from after the $1000 match to before the $500 match
  • $525 total raised since $1000 match
  • Roundtable: Why is it important to give to Zimfest? – What value do we give to the membership beyond the registration discount? What other creative incentives can we come up with for being a member? Early registration, t-shirt, special item, poster
  • Discuss board member fundraising expectations – paid membership fees and highly encourage each board member to donate or non monetary ways that they can contribute if they are not able to donate
  • Revise a sample form to suit our board.

Review and Approve Privacy Policy (Alex)

Tech committee has been taking a look at a privacy policy but nothing final yet

Align on Next Meeting Date (All)

Sunday, August 12th, Breakfast 8am

One Comment on “July 8, 2018 ZA Board Meeting Minutes

  1. John Hatten says:

    Thank you all! So looking forward to seeing you all soon!

Post a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *