October 9, 2016 Zimfest Association Board Meeting Synopsis
Members in Attendance: David Simon, Jacqueline Fallon, Alex Weeks, Janis Weeks, Dana Moffett, Evelyn Mukwedeya, Daniel Lockley, Chris Halaska, Tapiwa Kapurura
Members Absent: Rujeko Dumbutshena
Non-voting member in Attendance: Claire Jones
Finalize June Synopsis, Review July and September by email, Village meeting notes
Interview Tapiwa Kapurura
He is a people’s person, likes to connect with people, encourages people to join groups, networking, connecting through social media, and other groups. Tapiwa started own small non-profit Good Peoples for Africa. Some opportunities that he sees to focus on are: growth of organization, more with advertising of festival, marketing, the scheduling of performance times, and open air event (pay when you park your car). He accepts our offer of joining the board.
Welcome New Board Members
Evelyn Mukwedeya and Tapiwa Kapurura!
Discuss Transition of Presidency
Alex stepped forward showing interest in taking over. At the next meeting we will have a formal vote. There is a page on the website about recruiting board members (https://zimfest.org/about/board-meeting-minutes/zimfest-association-board-recruitment/), it is hidden and maybe we should consider moving it to a more visible location.
Review and Discuss the Priorities for Our Off Year
- Festival Structure: keep the format or move to another model that might help with other points, ZFPass-didn’t work for the registration system, how would this work for us financially?, A day pass with bracelet for the concerts
- Determine Festival Location for 2018: A must do, high priority
- Expand volunteer base and improve volunteer engagements
- Enhance festival programming and teacher selection/evaluation process: we don’t have a good way of automating it quickly to use
- Increase the financial sustainability of the festival
- Improve outreach in order to grow & diversify festival attendance
- Develop and execute marketing initiatives to generate interest in Zimfest throughout the year
- Establish a sustainable software environment