February 9, 2020 Zimfest Association Board Meeting Synopsis
Members in Attendance: Daniel Lockley, Jacqueline Fallon, Chris Halaska, Tendai Muparutsa, Drew Turner, Mandy Walker-LaFollette, Janis Weeks, Alex Weeks
Members Absent: none
Non-voting member in attendance: Claire Jones
Review Agenda (All)
Nov. and Dec. Minutes/Synopsis approved. Ready to post.
Approve January Minutes/Synopsis (All)
Synopsis: Approve by email
Tech Committee Update (Janis)
- Board should have a policy on who has admin status in G Suite. Default policy is currently TechComm members + Festival Coordinator + an account. The board approves.
Website has migrated to a new host. It should be invisible to us. Alex had been hosting it and now it is in some other provider’s space.
Festival Coordinator Contract Follow-Up (Alex/Claire)
Review contract and pay structure for Festival Coordinator contract.
We don’t have a calendar for board things, there are some topical calendars. Action item to create a board calendar along with the financial calendar that currently exists.
Background Check Follow-Up (Janis & All)
(1) Cost of background checks for residents. 2019 prices: Zimbabwe ($150, 5 d); South Africa ($274, 45-60 d); UK ($128, 15-20 d); Canada, ($50, 5 d).
Use references for applicants from other countries and not pay for background checks. Only pay for new Canadian and US applicants.
(2) All board members should complete a background check per policy.
Treasurer’s Report (Chris)
No report yet.
Review ZA Policies (All)
Added that our documents are now kept in a shared Google drive. Added ZF Code of Conduct. Add a piece in the travel policy reimbursement about the distinction between Visa types. Approved all and any changes.
Zimfest 2020 Update (Claire)
- Applications: Lots of new and old Zimbabweans. Not very many American bands or teachers, yet.
- There will be single and double rooms available, as well as single rooms as part of 4 and 6 bedroom apartments.
- We don’t have much flexibility in meal times, especially dinner. If we request time over what they provide, it is $60 per meal for each 15 minutes past 6 to pay overtime for workers who normally finish at 6.
- TESC Conference Services agrees to co-sponsor Zimfest, sign B1 letters of invite.
- Donated instruments:
- Drums will be available for workshop use at this year’s festival.
- There is a second set of donated marimbas. The bass is being renovated and the cost split between us and Seattle Prep where they will be housed. There are 4 sopranos – anyone have a tenor?
- Winning designs have been selected, one for postcard and poster, second for tee shirts. Let Claire know if you want a stack of cards mailed to you, otherwise we will make files available for people to print as many as they want.
- There was a suggestion to have a tribute concert (hour-long) in honor of Tuku, maybe Chi. Could be lunchtime or Sunday evening, depending on how scheduling works out.
- Review a sponsorship letter for a local volunteer to use for Olympia businesses.
Sunday March 8th, 6:30 pm Pacific time on Google Hangouts